Tuesday 22 March 2011

Real World Of Real Estate

I'm going to try to paint a picture, but I will use a big brush and pay very little attention to the canvas or easel.
This morning I attended a Royal LePage combined-office staff meeting in Ingersoll and one of the guest speakers was a sales rep based in London who is also an accomplished photographer.
Obviously, discussion was about marketing homes through pictures. If a picture is worth a 1,000 words, then the use of virtual tours and a pro shutterbug can be very important in the home selling process.
I have recently farmed out some photography to Glen Farrell of www.UpNClose.com and believe he truly does do a good job setting a scene on homes of all sizes, but especially those with an open concept or large rooms as virtual reality or 'stitched' photos can somewhat place the prospect inside. Obviously, a buyer would want to visit the house before placing an offer, but you would also be surprised how many people from neighbouring communities like London and the quint-cities (K-W, Preston, Galt and Hespeler) are considering a relocation to The Friendly City. For out-of-towners, the best way to get exposed to a property is to view a virtual tour.
To make a short story . . . long, therefore, I point out this picture expense is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to expenses that can be incurred by a Realtor.
I'm not complaining as I selected this profession.
From advertising in the Oxford Review paper, to websites, photocopies at the office, to car upkeep and fuel, to ink for my home office computer, expenses do add up quickly. These numbers do not include fees we pay to enroll in required courses, to cover board dues, and licence renewals. Every August, for example, we receive a bill for insurance -- errors and omissions coverage. Every November I receive a cardboard box full of desk calendars, and deliver or mail over 300 to past clients or potential future customers.
Every office has differing procedures on 'for sale' signs, but they -- along with open house signs -- are an expense. I like to deliver 'just listed' flyers to promote a new listing -- more paper and more magenta.
At the end of the day, keep in mind your Realtor makes nothing until a home is SOLD. The incentive to sell is simple: groceries.
I'm not a doctor or dentist, or a chartered accountant, engineer, or lawyer, but after 12 years and dozens of courses, I am a proud full-time real estate professional. My knowledge of the residential resale, including conditional offers, amortization charts, closing costs, and industry trends is something I'm proud of.
I joke with friends: I work 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. . . seven days a week. . . just not all those hours. I enjoy my work, and I know you will enjoy working with me on your next real estate transaction.
Call me or email today, so we can get to work. (519 537-1553; mschadenberg@rogers.com)
Royal LePage: "Helping you is what we do".
 
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment