Monday 6 May 2013

Guest hosting is about volunteering

What's Up Oxford television show
By Mark Schadenberg
My volunteering efforts include Relay for Life (Canadian Cancer Society, June 14-15) and the Lions Club of Woodstock, but it also encompasses broadcasting on Rogers TV.
Community-access television is a great method of promoting events, whether it be guest hosting What's Up Oxford as I'm involved with currently, or playing the role of a reporter on Oxford County Living.
My working years began full-time in radio, then seven years as sports reporter and editor at The Woodstock Sentinel-Review, and now at the young age of 46 I continue to assist in promoting local groups and events by offering my time in the television side of media.
In essence, I'm assisting groups and organizations seeking free advertising.
As mentioned, this week I'm hosting What's Up Oxford as Chris Cunningham is away. We basically taped four shows in about four hours over two days -- last Thursday and Friday.
My guests included Harold DeHaan (pictured) as city engineer and a discussion about yard waste recycling on James Street and the large item pick-up program, the city offers.


With Trevor Lamb of Crimestoppers and the OPP the topic was preventing identity theft.
With Mother's Day on the horizon, guests included Let's Eat Cake and a fun promotion they are plugging about a cake decorating opportunity for children to surprise Mom on the morn of May 12. Also, VanWees Mostly Roses store stopped by to talk about trends in flower arrangements.
I also interviewed the director of the Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat production in Innerkip  (May 9, 10 & 11 - Dinner/Show Ticket 6:00 (show starts @ 7:30) & Show Only Ticket 7:30; May 11 - Matinee (No dinner, just show) Show starts @ 2:00 pm Adult Dinner/Show Tickets are $30.00 ea. or $15 for just the show. All Students 13 and under/ Dinner/ Show Tickets are $ 25.00 ea or $10 for just the show. Call (519) 532-8673), and the organizer of the Woodstock Hospital Foundation's Dairy Capital Run fundraiser on May 26. (http://www.wgh.on.ca/wghf/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=134&Itemid=90)
Be sure to look at the details of a poster here, which is a reminder of the Woodstock police services prescription drug drop-off day on Saturday, May 11.

I write this to promote the episodes as they are airing currently and to remind folks I'm a volunteer. I do not get paid for many of my Rogers TV appearances, but it is a method of advertising myself as someone who cares about the community I sell real estate in.


Mark Schadenberg
(519) 537-1553
Sales Representative
Royal LePage Triland 

No comments:

Post a Comment