Wednesday 8 June 2011

What is spam and what is a newsletter?

Not All Email Is The Same
Federal laws are passed by our elected and unelected (the Senate) government, and are certainly intended to paint with a very large brush.
Our federal government passed in December of last year a new law (C-28) which in its intent is a very good idea. Ottawa wants to stop spam, so it dutifully created and passed with royal assent by our Governor-General David Johnston, the Fighting Internet and Wireless Spam (FISA) bill.
I would lead the list of those with the pet peeve about receiving unwanted spam – marketing for everything from medication to concert tickets and from the possibility of inheriting a large sum of money to an invitation to real estate seminars I have no intention of attending. Email arriving in a computer that I did not request and certainly don’t need.
Actually, up until late last year, Canada was the only G8 country not having a formal strict anti-spam law.
At the end of the day, there is a large difference, in my opinion, between issuing fines to spam artists who send out thousands of non-requested emails, and comparing them to a local Realtor you know.
At the same time, I don’t mind saying that a local well-established travel agency sends me updates on travel packages or a planned open house with a speaker discussing a European vacation. I never requested this information, but I don't mind receiving it either. I believe, and I think you would agree, that if you receive one such note a month that’s fine. However, if this type of marketing – even from someone you know -- ever became continuous and annoying, and if you wanted to opt-out of receiving it, you should be able to send a quick note to that person/company indicating the same.
If, for example, you no longer want to receive my newsletter, which I compose maybe 9 or 10 times a year, that’s your option.
The new federal legislation, however, turns the tables on average people operating a small business from contacting their friends, relatives and acquaintances (In real estate marketing we call it a ‘sphere of infleunce’).
There are a couple government web links noted at the end of this commentary, but the Industry Canada website says: "The proposed FISA is intended to deter the most damaging and deceptive forms of spam, such as identity theft, phishing and spyware, from occurring in Canada and to help drive spammers out of Canada."
Industry Canada continues, however, in its FAQ section: I'm a legitimate business owner who uses bulk email to reach my customers. How will I be affected by these new anti-spam measures? Legitimate businesses that use email to market their products to Canadians should not be negatively impacted by this legislation. The regime to allow for email marketing is based on a consumer opt-in approach, which stipulates that businesses must get consent prior to sending commercial email or have a pre-existing business relationship with a consumer.
By filling out on-line requests, I knowingly receive and have requested therefore, thus granting permission to receive, information from local car dealerships, restaurants and even hardware stores. I do not give out my email contact list, and I would expect these businesses would not either. Any consumer can opt-in to any legitimate marketing plan on Facebook, Twitter or many other destinations. Every time you visit a fast food outlet, the back of your receipt asks for comments and when you go to the internet you must supply your email address to possibly win a prize, such as a gift card for participating in their survey. Does this in-turn mean you have now opted in to receive junk email from this company? No. They also smartly ask you to 'check' a small box if you want to receive promotional messages such as coupons or invitation to specials.
This very newsletter, by the way, will appear where everyone and anyone can see it:

It would appear that before this law comes into effect, I may have to ask you to opt-in. When that time arrives, please opt-in as I’m a self-employed full-time dedicated and knowledgeable Realtor who works only on commission. Woodstock is a great place to live. When talking real estate, I always say my job is to sell houses (bricks and mortar, lumber and carpet, shingles and windows), but I really sell homes, neighbourhoods, communities and our county.
Interesting Links For More Details:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ecic-ceac.nsf/eng/gv00521.html
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ic1.nsf/eng/05596.html

www.markroyallepage.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment